One of the first things that new bloggers battle with is consistent content publishing. That and coming up with the many topics needed in order…
One of the first things that new bloggers battle with is consistent content publishing. That and coming up with the many topics needed in order to post new blogs on a regular basis. The best way to overcome this? A content calendar.
A content calendar allows you to plan and organize your content in advance. It provides an overview of the content you plan to publish across all your marketing channels, such as your blog, social media, email newsletters, and other content platforms.
These may seem like tools used within larger agencies, or for freelancers working for companies and brands, but we can tell you that they are just as useful for smaller blogs. Even this post came from a content calendar.
Of course, content calendars are not magical — they won’t suddenly give you all the topics and information you need. But spending ±2 hours to set up your blog plan for a month (or even a year) can really help you save time and energy in the future. Read on to learn how to create this type of plan, and find a free example further below.
What to Include in Your Blog Editorial Calendar
Your blog content calendar should be there to help you publish blog content effectively. For this to work, it should include:
- The publishing date for each blog post to ensure that you have a consistent flow of content
- Title of each blog post, which will help you optimize your content for search engines and social media
- The category that the post will fall under
- Any relevant keywords or phrases that will help your content rank higher in search results
- Additional notes or details about each blog post, such as links, images, or social media promotion plans
Why a Blog Content Planner is Important For Bloggers
Why can’t you just post content as you think of it? Here are some reasons why content calendars and planning are important:
- Consistency: A content calendar ensures that you publish content on a consistent basis. This helps establish your brand’s authority and credibility in your industry, and also helps keep your audience engaged and interested in your brand.
- Organization: It helps you keep track of your content ideas and ensures that you don’t repeat topics or forget to cover important areas. It also helps you plan for holidays, events, or other special occasions, so you can create content that is relevant and timely.
- Collaboration: If you work with other bloggers or outsource your work, content calendars can be shared, allowing everyone to contribute to the planning and creation process. This can help generate fresh ideas, ensure that everyone is on the same page, and avoid content overlaps or gaps.
- Optimization: Having your entire content plan in one place also means you can easily optimize your content for maximum impact. You can strategically plan your content around specific themes or topics, ensure that your content aligns with your marketing goals, and optimize your content for search engines or social media algorithms.
Before You Create Your Blogging Schedule
Creating a content calendar requires some planning and preparation. Here are some steps to get started.
Identify Your Target Audience
Understanding your audience’s needs and interests is crucial to creating content that resonates with them. Use audience research, surveys, or social media analytics to gather information about your target audience.
Define Your Marketing Goals
What are you trying to achieve with your content marketing efforts? Is it to increase brand awareness, generate leads, or drive sales? Your marketing goals will help guide your content creation and distribution strategy.
Brainstorm Content Ideas
Use tools like Google Trends, keyword research, or competitor analysis to generate ideas for your content. Keep a list of topics and themes that align with your audience’s interests and your marketing goals.
Doing some keyword research to choose your topics is the best way to ensure that you are adding SEO elements to your planning.
Choose Your Channels
Determine which channels you will use to distribute your content, such as your blog, social media, email newsletters, or other platforms. Consider the unique features and audience demographics of each channel and tailor your content accordingly.
Plan Your Content
Use a content calendar template or tool to plan your content in advance. Decide on the frequency and timing of your content, assign responsibilities to team members, and track your progress.
Blog Content Planner Template
Here’s a free example calendar that you can make a copy of and use — we’ve added instructions, but it’s important to note that you may need to edit the columns and even tabs for your own needs. It may take a few months before you have something seamless for your blog.
A content calendar and planning are essential tools for any brand that wants to create a successful content marketing strategy. By using these tools, you can ensure that your content is consistent, organized, and optimized for maximum impact. Start planning your content today and watch your brand’s online presence grow.
Like this post? Pin it!